Monday, June 14, 2010

Rhubarb Cake with Custard Filling





Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have a co-worker who brings me fresh produce from her sister's farm? This year, the sister has an abundance of rhubarb that she was nice enough to share, not once, but twice so far---two big bags! The first bag was easy to polish off. I made the Strawberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie, some Strawberry-Rhubarb Cupcakes, some loaves of Rhubarb Bread and a couple of pies. I even had to buy a few extra stalks at the grocery store. The second bag is a little tougher to finish up....I really should chop it up and freeze some for when I can't find it anymore.....but, first, I have to bake up a little more rhubarb goodness. I searched the Internet and found this recipe. The custard filling was the selling point for me.....

Rhubarb Cake with Custard Filling

Original Recipe Found Here (go ahead and give this site a little love--the recipes look pretty good!)

CRUST

- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening - butter flavored
- 2 cups quick oats

FILLING
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- dash salt
- 6 cups fresh or partially thawed frozen rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter - cut into small pats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine crust ingredients with fork or pastry blender. Reserve 1 cup.



I think next time I'll use butter instead....



So far so good...pretty easy stuff.



Chopping the rhubarb is my least favorite activity. Peeling off some of the outer skin makes it a bit easier, but I still had a few "strings"



Don't forget to set aside that one cup of topping!



Place the rest in bottom of 9x13x2 pan. Press down.


In large bowl with whisk or hand mixer, beat eggs; add in sugar, flour and salt. Mix well.
Add rhubarb, stir to mix.



 Slowly pour filling on top of crust.



Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; dot with butter.
Bake 1 to 1 hour 20 minutes, until custard is set in the center.



Addicting, to be sure....

I was kind of proud of myself this time around...I made very few changes (I only added a little vanilla in to the custard mixture). The result is pretty good, with a tart/sweet custardy filling, although this is more of a bar than a cake. I imagine that the sugar could be cut down a bit in the filling, especially if you like it to be more tart, and I have seen a version of this recipe with a meringue topping (something that would not go over well at my house). With 8 eggs and all of that sugar, you want to make sure to keep the pieces small, but all in all, I'd say it's a keeper!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, What a marvelous sounding cake! I can almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this cake, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky! I would love some fresh produce. Heh. The cake looks awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looks even better than the original recipe. This is defiantly on my to make list:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhubarb and custard!! Classic! I love how this looks and I can imagine what a delight cutting into it would be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good. kinda looks like a rhubarb betty. LOL

    ReplyDelete